Computer Help

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Computer Help

Postby Concerned » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Looking for a little computer help..

I downloaded upgrades to my virus protection software today and it caused all kinds of problems.

After 8+ hours on the phone with offshore tehnical support and having to give my name, email, phone number, credit card number etc. at least a dozen times for every person I talked to I think most problems are resolved except one: (I even had to delete and re-install the program twice).

Now, whenever I log on to the internet or even some programs, pictures or logos are not shown such as the Yahoo logo and any pictures next to the news files, etc. All I get is the little picture box.

If I right click on the picture box and choose "show picture" for each one, it will appear.

Any ideas? It has to be something simple that I am missing.

Thanks for helping a very frustrated individual.
Concerned

Re: Computer Help

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Just a guess on my part but it could be your new anti virus taking so long to scan incoming files (particularly if this upgraded version just started or changed how it scan pictures) that the browser is timing out and putting the Xs in place of the image. Once you request it directly it's the only file being loaded so it's scanned quickly.

Look for an option to disable image scanning in your anti virus program and try a safe web page with images. Then it's just a matter of finding a permanent solution such as a better anti virus program. If it doesn't solve the problem it's still likely time to try a new anti virus program, they shouldn't cause 8+ hours of tech support issues just to upgrade.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Re: Computer Help

Postby Concerned » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks Nat,

It's the same software I have been using but somehow I think the downlaod corrupted some settings.

I started to restore defaulty settings one by one and found this:

When I go to Internet settings/advanced and choose restore advnaced settings and then re-satrt IE, everything is fine.

But if I reboot the computer, the same problem happens and I have to go back and restore the default settings.

I'm thinking I've got a virus somewhere but of course my new updated software says no.

Thanks
Concerned

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)