Job Seekers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Job Seekers

Postby Michael Thompson » Thu May 29, 2008 8:34 am

Hello,

Knowing that there are a lot of Tech Guru's on this forum I thought I would post a link to a job opening at the company I work for:

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&j ... 2067615379

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

The Job is in Lawrence and you will have to come into the office. It takes me about 30-40 minutes if I leave my house by 7am, add about 15 if you leave between 7 and 7:30am.

Thanks,
Mike
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:02 am

RBarnes wrote:If anyone knows any VB /SQL developers please have them send me a copy of their resumes at RBarnes@Brookstone.com

Brookstone has a position they are looking to fill quickly.

Thanks

Another spot opened up. Here's the link to the write up on Monster:
http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx? ... g=1&seq=25
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

BAEsystems Job Fair December 2nd and 3rd

Postby WIZ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Deleted post 11/27/08
Last edited by WIZ on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIZ

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:45 pm

WIZ

THanks for heads up. My husband is getting laid off Dec 31st and several of these job openings look like a good fit for him.

My son is also looking for an internship (Mech Engineeering) for the summer. Do you think he should attend the Job Fair?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby WIZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:WIZ

THanks for heads up. My husband is getting laid off Dec 31st and several of these job openings look like a good fit for him.

My son is also looking for an internship (Mech Engineeering) for the summer. Do you think he should attend the Job Fair?

Jeannine, sorry for the delay in responding to this. I've been on the road.

Glad to hear that your husband might be a good fit for some of these positions. BAE is hiring new people every day.

Internships are summer jobs, but it wouldn't hurt to get a resume in at the job fair for a summer internship. But I would also follow up in the spring with the HR folks on this if he doesn't hear from BAE before then. Tell your son to get a contact name and phone number of an HR Rep that works the internship program while he is at the fair. The company gets a lot of resumes every month, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle of literally 10's of thousands of resumes from around the country.

Best of luck to them both.

Wiz
WIZ

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Wiz

I really do appreciate the heads up on this Job Fair
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby mglr536 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 pm

It's nice to see local companies doing well and posting their openings. It's also nice they're having a job fair. (free food and pens)

That being said, I think BAE needs some constructive criticism in resume sifting: most people who I've talked to who have sent in applications refer to BAE as a Black Hole. And I'm talking qualified people who currently work in the defense industry who already possess higher level security clearances. Those clearances can take a long time to obtain and most defense companies love to hire already cleared candidates.

I have talked with non Human Resource employees from BAE of what I've heard from friends and they have no idea this condition exists. They were saddened because they didn't realize their company had that reputation.

So, while it's nice that BAE is doing well, obviously has a plentiful backlog of contracts; it's sad that they are known by some people as the black hole.
If anyone is an employee of BAE, please take this as feedback to your HR department. I'm not bashing.
mglr536

Postby WIZ » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:19 am

Deleted
Last edited by WIZ on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIZ

Postby RD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:04 pm

mglr536 wrote:That being said, I think BAE needs some constructive criticism in resume sifting: most people who I've talked to who have sent in applications refer to BAE as a Black Hole.

I submitted easily a dozen applications to BAE in the late 90s and that was exactly my experience... not a peep back from them.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby mglr536 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Part of the job search involves selective marketing, Networking, resume advertising, word of mouth thru friends and neighbors. And I am able to speak to these items because of due dilegence on my part and thru personal resume submission throughout the years; some in earnest and some experimental. (yes, I sent in "loaded" resumes just to see if I would get a "pop"...didn't get one)

My post is to make those interested in going to a job fair at BAE to understand a few things and to give some constructive feedback in terms of resume sifting or filtering. If the company is getting thousands of resumes throughout the country and UK, what do you think the odds are of someone local applicant in a market that has about 350,000 residents, being lucky enough to pass muster on scrutiny? And if a company with high tech computers cannot sift thru thousands of resumes effeiciently, how in reality are 100 hiring managers going to screen say 5000 would be job fair walkins?

The job fair is an archaic method of awareness marketing to a small sample. My suggestion is that BAE rethink how they target, how they raise awareness in the the local coomunity, etc. When my friends from out of state look to relocate to our beautiful area, they always ask about BAE and I say apply. But when these extremely qualified defense industry candidates ask me why they never hear from BAE, I then suggest they look eslewhere beyond the black hole. And trust me, BAE doesn't have the market locked ont his, Raytheon works the same way.

So, I don't deny the electronics BAE makes are life saving and probably the best the world has to offer and i've heard V-Dubs are pretty good too. Very thankful for that having served my country and having formerly worked in defense duringthe 80's.

But please don't look at this as bashing, rather, if you work at BAE offer to fellow posters to meet them atthe door and help introduce them to hiring managers. If you have that many jobs and need that many qualified people, then help your company help itself. That's whythis post does belonghere because instead of making excuses or defending, suck it up and open your doors.

respectively submitted.
mglr536

Previous

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)