Spam reduction measure

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Spam reduction measure

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 pm

In order to reduce forum spam I have forced all new accounts to be activated by hand. If you want to create an account on this forum feel free to do so, but it may take a day or so for your account to be activated. This should be temporary.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Re: Spam reduction measure

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 am

Those spam robots are getting more and more tricky. I wonder it it was a back-door in the phpbb software that was getting them through.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 pm

No, it's not a back door in phpBB, it's just that the spammers have broken both the phpBB visual confirmation code and the gmail confirmation code (that's those hard to read letters you have to type in to create a new account).

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sun May 31, 2009 11:51 pm

I upgraded the forum and enabled a new user spam prevention measure that might help reduce things. If you encounter any problems just email "admin" at this website url and I'll try to help. Also post here if you find any problems. For example I think the IP address visibility modification has disappeared, but it will be back soon.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:27 am

ip visibility seems to be working
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:12 am

I'm not sure new users will generally even notice this message here, hopefully they will.

One of the forum spam reduction measures I have taken is to automatically queue a new users first posts. After their first few posts have been approved they will be allowed to post regularly without being queued for approval. Sometimes it may take a day or so to be approved if I'm busy or away from a computer. Hopefully that delay won't discourage new posters.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am

Larger than usual failed new user notifications have been occurring over the past several weeks, so if you REALLY want to have an account here, make sure you type your email address in correctly!

Oh, the bounces end up in the hosting email account (that would be me).

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Return to Forum Software Information