Discussion of state and national removal

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby platypusman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Andy you raise good points but I think the real issue one of absolutes and the willingness of some to accept them.

There are certain things that were being debated on the forum that had a nearly absolute answer. Take drilling, it is irrefutable that more oil on the market would lower prices. Another such topic with great certainty was redistribution of wealth. Obama’s positions absolutely took wealth away from one group only to give it to another who did not earn it. Now in both cases, one could speak to whether drilling could be done safely or is it better policy to close the income gap in this country. In these two cases, those on the left avoided accepting fundamentals or absolutes and instead bashed people because of their moniker or tried to discredit them in one way or another. For example, it would have been far better if they admitted the Democratic Party supports the redistribution of wealth because of blah blah blah. This would have led to more fruitful debate and mostly likely, would have kept the national forum open for business.
platypusman

Postby TCF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 pm

andysinnh wrote:TCF - you flatter yourself too much to think that you're being "wronged" by Nat, and your fabricated belief that his political afiliation had anything to do with the removal of these areas of the forum is just plain funny.

I call it as I see it Andy, but glad to think you think it is funny to limit free speech. I once again, ask why they were removed considering it wasn't the law suit threats.

The local discussions in this forum, over the past few years, have been MUCH more agressive and pointed in terms of positions on a particular matter - but the interesting thing is that most people here would acknowledge the other point of view when it came to local politics, and frankly I think that's why that aspect of the forum has remained in tact. I haven't seen so much "my way or the highway" set of dictives as I have over the last few months...

I know very well about the local discussions over the past few years. I have been posting here since this was first started as a town run forum. IE the trash debate. And you are flat out wrong about about other people acknowledging the other point of view in local politics for the most part. And I ask you again, what is wrong with my way or the highway set of dictives as you put it when you have strong beliefs left or right. Yet it is the left on here that whine and cry about IP's and who you are and where you live. What is wrong with the concept of turning of the tv if you don't like the program. No Andy, and no surprise, you and most of the left are the ones that don't want to hear another opinion if it doesn't fit your agenda. Purely political as to why these were shut down. And if you don't see me here anymore, yes I am sure you and many others can't wait, it is because I have been banned. Again, who needs free speech when it doesn't support your agenda.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby RD » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:54 pm

TCF wrote:I have been posting here since this was first started as a town run forum.

Under what names?
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby TCF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:56 pm

RD wrote:
TCF wrote:I have been posting here since this was first started as a town run forum.

Under what names?

There you go again, where do you live, what is your IP, where do you live. Frankly it is none of your business what my previous names were. They were all anon because in your mind I am a coward. Sleep well my friend.
TCF

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:27 am

Wizard wrote:
alice kader wrote:Would it be possible to start up the political threads again with posters who have verifiable names?

How are you going to do that (verifiable names)? Drive over to someone's home? How about if everyone submits a DNA sample! Would that be OK with you? You have this forum confused with MySpace.com Put the keyboard down and go to your room.

It wouldn't be too hard to do. Back when computers and modems were first becoming popular I would dial into BBSes (Bulletin Board Systems) which were somewhat similar to modern day websites. One that I liked required users to register when they first logged in with a name and address. The guy that ran it would call each new user and validate over the phone they are who they said they were then turn on their account.

I don't see why it would be too hard to do something similar, give each new ID read only so anons and others can still read the posts but have it set up so you'd need to send a private IM to the moderator with a valid phone and your real name. Once validated they could then turn your account on.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby lynn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 am

and Nat in his copious free time is going to make these calls :?
lynn

Postby andysinnh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 am

Removed post - edited 12:30pm ET - not worth perpetuating the discussion......
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby TCF » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Confucius wrote:Good call.

Yup, real good call, a whole 2 or three posts today not counting Nats on videos. And just look at all the new people signing up now that this is a more kind and gentle place. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
TCF

Postby RD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 pm

TCF wrote:Yup, real good call, a whole 2 or three posts today not counting Nats on videos. And just look at all the new people signing up now that this is a more kind and gentle place. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have you been down Tinker Road lately? Is there even a Tinker Road in Florida?
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby TCF » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 am

RD wrote:
TCF wrote:Yup, real good call, a whole 2 or three posts today not counting Nats on videos. And just look at all the new people signing up now that this is a more kind and gentle place. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RD, I replied to you and it was deleted and got this warning from Nat, so I won't be replying to you anymore. And I assume you also got a warning.

Sent at: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 am
To: TCF

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=91684#p91684 .
TCF

Postby WIZ » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 am

TCF wrote:
RD wrote:

RD, I replied to you and it was deleted and got this warning from Nat, so I won't be replying to you anymore. And I assume you also got a warning.

Sent at: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 am
To: TCF

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=91684#p91684 .

At least you got the courtesy of a warning. Some folks here just go directly to the banned bucket without a warning.
WIZ

Postby RD » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:45 pm

RBarnes wrote:If people want to discuss state issues there are already dozens of good forums with lots of activity on which to discuss them.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/nhinsider

There's a perfect example of one.

I've been looking at the NH Insider forum, but it seems to be a conservative orgy over there. I've seen a few liberal posts, but it's generally a pretty boring forum.
RD

Postby Linda Nickerson » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah, one of the other forums I'm on has set up a "LEFTIE" and "RIGHTIE" Discussion Topic (you have to pick one, can't be on both unless you're truely on the fence and I'm most definitely NOT on the fence any longer) :D .

So, I'm having my fun there and working with the rest of the gang to convince the fence sitters of the correct way to go! 8)

(Sorry, Nat...I'll shut up now...)
Linda Nickerson

Postby RBarnes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 am

RD wrote:
RBarnes wrote:If people want to discuss state issues there are already dozens of good forums with lots of activity on which to discuss them.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/nhinsider

There's a perfect example of one.

I've been looking at the NH Insider forum, but it seems to be a conservative orgy over there. I've seen a few liberal posts, but it's generally a pretty boring forum.

RD, they are looking for politically active left wingers to blog there. If you or any you know are interested send me a PM and I'll pass on the contact information to Bob (the guy who owns the site).
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Previous

Return to Forum Software Information