Discussion of state and national removal

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby alice kader » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:51 am

Being long time viewer of the down south postings I am sad to see them go but I understand. Those who posted and would not be named tended to be quite strong in their views to the point of irrationality but I also thought people like Andy S, RD, Wayne, Jeannine, Linda and Michael Thompson where equally abrasive and often condescending. Would it be possible to start up the political threads again with posters who have verifiable names?
alice kader

Postby RD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 am

alice kader wrote:Being long time viewer of the down south postings I am sad to see them go but I understand. Those who posted and would not be named tended to be quite strong in their views to the point of irrationality but I also thought people like Andy S, RD, Wayne, Jeannine, Linda and Michael Thompson where equally abrasive and often condescending. Would it be possible to start up the political threads again with posters who have verifiable names?

I think if you could look back at the posts, you'd find that, with the exception of Jeannine, if the above-mentioned were ever abrasive it was in response to abrasive comments to non-abrasive posts. I think that, with the possible exception of myself, Andy, Wayne, Linda, and MT never started a conversation abrasively.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby RD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:30 am

RBarnes wrote:Speaking of monster threads, don't know if you heard about the guys who claimed to have a dead big foot. Found out last night it was nothing more then a rubber suit.

Damn! Bigfoot eludes us again!
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Wizard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 pm

alice kader wrote:Being long time viewer of the down south postings I am sad to see them go but I understand. Those who posted and would not be named tended to be quite strong in their views to the point of irrationality but I also thought people like Andy S, RD, Wayne, Jeannine, Linda and Michael Thompson where equally abrasive and often condescending. Would it be possible to start up the political threads again with posters who have verifiable names?

How are you going to do that (verifiable names)? Drive over to someone's home? How about if everyone submits a DNA sample! Would that be OK with you? You have this forum confused with MySpace.com Put the keyboard down and go to your room.
Wizard

Postby Wizard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Nat’s decision to not host the State and National forum was, in my opinion, a bit drastic and without forum member discussion prior to shutting it down has obviously pissed off a few folks. I do respect Nat’s decision to shut it down – after all, this is his forum and as administrator it’s his call. I have to admit that I never spent a lot time in the political forums. It’s like arguing about religion. One will seldom change another’s opinion on the subject, regardless of the debate. I thought this particular political forum was often boring and occasionally, humorous and filled with lots of cut-and-paste articles from the Left and Right media outlets and Blogs – stuff that I can read elsewhere should I choose to. I really never heard anything new as far as ideas and debate that I hadn’t read in that day’s newspapers. Then on the other hand there are a few who came here only for the political forums, so I feel bad for (some of) them. I agree with what others have mentioned, that this is The Merrimack Forum.org and that local Town topics should be the main focus of discussion and debate. I think the forum does a pretty good job in that arena and I hope that Nat is right, that eliminating the political forums may attract and encourage more input from a more diverse forum member community on community issues, opinions and ideas that affect us all.

Wizard
Wizard

Postby Linda Nickerson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Dupilcate...
Last edited by Linda Nickerson on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Nickerson

Postby Linda Nickerson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Wizard,

You're right on some points, I do hope (and have already seen) that the elimination of the State and National forums will bring more people who actually care about Merrimack to the forefront.

While I freely admit that there were times, out of frustration, that I may have come across as "abrasive" I really did try to not come off as "condescending". But, having been the recipient of more than one posting/email/interpretation in my long involvement with the Internet as a whole I can see how the written word can come off that way.

While I no longer live in town, as I 've said many times in the past, I raised my kids in Merrimack, lived there longer than I've lived anywhere else in my life (although, sorry, I'll always be a New Yorker in my gut - though no longer a Yankees fan due to brainwashing by my husband and kids and George Steinbrenner totally ruining that team - Go Red Sox! But, Long Island, NY was the BEST place to grow up...). I continue to frequent Merrimack as often as possible...yea Flats!!! (Remember when the bathrooms were up the stairs??? I FELL up those stairs more times than I care to admit!! But BOY do I have great memories!!!)

I really hope the topics get back to what's happening in the town. While I may no longer have any influence, I do care....]
Linda Nickerson

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:39 am

I read Nat's decision. Sounds kind of like he may be contemplating shutting the forum down completely.

My last visit was on the 7th of this month. I really wish I had been available to read last week's posts.

I'm VERY curious as to what was said. Oh well....

This is the only forum I look at - Well, this and a survivors site that I belong to.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Rd

I think if you could look back at the posts, you'd find that, with the exception of Jeannine, if the above-mentioned were ever abrasive it was in response to abrasive comments to non-abrasive posts. I think that, with the possible exception of myself, Andy, Wayne, Linda, and MT never started a conversation abrasively.

Why single me out? There were many insults hurled around and not once did I go and whine to have people banned or look up their IP addresses. So of all people to even have the nerve to post this comment it shouldn't be you.

I wasn't here last week so I guess I missed whatever happened. All I can say is people are too thin skinned and it seems easily offended. There is nothing wrong with strong arguments and there will ALWAYS be whiners. There are plenty of blogs where one can go to discuss politics. Politics is always a difficult topic and rarely do people agree.

I can recommend a few that might be of interest. I always visit http://www.realclearpolitics.com where you can discuss some of the articles with other readers. My favorite is http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com where I have been a poster since 2004. Maybe I will see you posting there.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RD » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Why single me out?

I was merely responding to alice kader's list of other "abrasive" posters. In my opinion with the exception of you and possibly me, if those others listed ever posted something that one could consider abrasive, it was only in response to abrasive and insulting posts. I believe none of them ever posted anything abrasive in response to a civil post.

There were other posters who responded abrasively without provocation. If someone politely posted a liberal opinion, for example, they would quickly be attacked by some calling them "whack knobs" "moonbats" and telling them they have a "mental disorder."

I hope you can understand the difference.
RD

Postby alice kader » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 am

Hello all:

It is not my intention to cause problems but I did feel that in the State and National debates there were two sides feeding off of each other. It seemed after each post tensions raised and responses because more passionate. There is no problem with passion as long as it allows for an open discussion. As I said before I saw similar attitudes on both the left and right. I don’t think anyone is without some responsibility for the demise of the political forum.

Sincerely,

Alice Kader
alice kader

Postby TCF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:18 am

RD wrote:
Jeannine Stergios wrote:Why single me out?

I was merely responding to alice kader's list of other "abrasive" posters. In my opinion with the exception of you and possibly me, if those others listed ever posted something that one could consider abrasive, it was only in response to abrasive and insulting posts. I believe none of them ever posted anything abrasive in response to a civil post.

There were other posters who responded abrasively without provocation. If someone politely posted a liberal opinion, for example, they would quickly be attacked by some calling them "whack knobs" "moonbats" and telling them they have a "mental disorder."

I hope you can understand the difference.

Simply not true RD, you personally posted a thread about me (TCF is a Coward), all because you for some unknown reason along with most of the left on this forum have a problem with anons. I asked you to post where I initiated abrasive comments about you or anyone personally and the best you could come up with is liberalism is a mental disorder. It is the title of a book, and what I truly believe when it comes to liberal politics and the liberal mindset. That doesn't even hold a candle to some of the things you and others have said on here. But the truth is, it had nothing to do with you and rowland looking up IP's and home and work addresses, or threatened lawsutis,He said in his original post when he shut this down that he wasn't aware of the lawsuit threads. So it boils down to simple partisan politics. He is obviously an Obama supporter and did not like hearing the truth about this man. What else could it be, if not the threats of lawsuits. So he chose to silence other opinions on a National forum that can effect all of us depending on the outcome. It is the left that is quick to critisize the Bush on the loss of liberties because of wiretapping known or suspected terrorists, but the first to silence anyone that they do not agree with on a silly forum. No one forces anyone to read my posts or anyone elses. And if you do, its real simple either to write me of as a nutcase or a wacknob to use one of your examples and not be so thin skinned. But instead, the left goes out of their way to hunt down IP's. The proof is in the pudding RD. All those that supported the shutdown of these forums praising Nat, are all the usual suspects from the left on this forum. The name of this site should be changed to Merrimack Liberal Forum, the place to come where we only want to hear how wonderful Obama is. Any other opinion will not be tolerated and we the left do not want to hear it. Well believe it or not RD, there are others out there that think just like I do, and I do not lose any sleep at night worrying that you or others think I am a coward or a flaming idiot. I am at piece with my beliefs, just as you should be with yours. I have no desire to look up your IP, or know where you reside or work or anything else about you when it comes to the National Politics threads. So once again the ones who complain about freedoms and free speach, are the first to silence opposing and differing opinions. I suspect I will probably be banned for saying that this was shutdown because of partisan politics and nothing else, so be it if that is the case. Once again I will not loose any sleep over it. But Nat should seriously look at what he has done or explain the true reason why this was shutdown. Absolutly no reason for it other than what I have already mentioned. Logical thinking and logical minded people know the truth on the left and right and an insult to all to shut this down thinking that we as human beings can't think for themselves and make up their own opinions no matter what is said by me or anyone else on this forum.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby andysinnh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:34 pm

TCF - you flatter yourself too much to think that you're being "wronged" by Nat, and your fabricated belief that his political afiliation had anything to do with the removal of these areas of the forum is just plain funny.

The local discussions in this forum, over the past few years, have been MUCH more agressive and pointed in terms of positions on a particular matter - but the interesting thing is that most people here would acknowledge the other point of view when it came to local politics, and frankly I think that's why that aspect of the forum has remained in tact. I haven't seen so much "my way or the highway" set of dictives as I have over the last few months...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby platypusman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Andy the crux of the problem from my point of view was a sense of entitlement from those on the left. Liberal posters, even when confronted with hard data that contradicted their position, could not accept being wrong. This mentality is entrenched deeply in those who support liberal positions and very well documented in political writings of the day. In the case of political debate on our forum, this attitude of entitlement led to liberal comebacks to legitimate postings in the form of name calling or one liners devoid of any argumentive position. In order for a forum to work, both sides of any issue need to be open minded and willing to be proven wrong. In the case of the left on this forum, we just did not have cooperation or willingness.
platypusman

Postby andysinnh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:57 pm

platypusman wrote:Andy the crux of the problem from my point of view was a sense of entitlement from those on the left. Liberal posters, even when confronted with hard data that contradicted their position, could not accept being wrong. This mentality is entrenched deeply in those who support liberal positions and very well documented in political writings of the day. In the case of political debate on our forum, this attitude of entitlement led to liberal comebacks to legitimate postings in the form of name calling or one liners devoid of any argumentive position. In order for a forum to work, both sides of any issue need to be open minded and willing to be proven wrong. In the case of the left on this forum, we just did not have cooperation or willingness.

I see it differently. A good debate will allow points of view from both sides - with those on each side allowed to both state positions and refute others. The problem here was that the "debate" that was happening was a set of reputed "position" statements, that when challenged, were held as gospel. Be honest, platy, people gave you opposing positions to many things (like the drilling discussion) - but you not only held your ground, but then would belittle anyone who didn't see your point of view. It got to the point that it was fruitless to post another point of view, since it was already known where one side or the other stood. I know that I posted a couple of threads about the conservative candidate's positions, asking for some clarification by his supporters, but there was never a reply. How can a debate occur when one side refuses to acknowledge the statements of the other - and only offers discussion when it suits his/her desires/goals?

The good thing about local debates is that it isn't a "conservative" vs "liberale" debate - it's a set of supporters on both sides of an event or position or discussion or whatever - and many times people would find themselves on the same side as some, and then the oppposite side of the same folks, depending on the debate at the time - an amazingly interesting dimension!!! Political debates are like religion - once one person has their belief, it's nearly impossible to change. But with the local discussions, there's a lot more room for true debate and discussions - and even if you don't change your position, the debate was more honest than what I've seen on the removed threads this time around.

We all have to stop this "lefty" vs "righty" thing - that's the big issue I saw in the areas Nat removed - because in local politics, that seems to not be the core of the discussion....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Software Information