Discussion of state and national removal

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby TCF » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 am

andysinnh wrote:You're now saying that Nat's decision, as owner and moderator of the forum, to remove the national and state sections from the forum - is a "lefty" methodology to stop the type of discussion you'd like to have? Geesh - you certainly think more of yourself than you should. Look at the forum title - "Merrimack NH Online Forum" - a forum for discussing issues in and around Merrimack NH. Around here - left and right - conservative and liberal - man or woman - we all get together to talk about things in town. We don't agree all the time - but we have a place to discuss topics here. Summer is typically a dead time for some of the more active discussions - but it runs in waves. If you're saying that having political discussions like before is what keeps the forum alive and interesting - then maybe you should look elsewhere.

I joined this forum over 2 years ago to get into serious discussions about the way this TOWN was heading - and most others on this forum believe in the same thing - and frankly, if removing the state and national sections of the forum pares down the membership to focus on the core topics - then I'm all for it.


I am well aware of the title Merrimack Online Forum, and I believe that the people of Merrimack are interested in State and National politics also and not just limited to town issues as well as a multitude of other things. The proof is in the pudding. It is the most active category on this site. If someone wants to start a thread on recipes, I am all for it. It is just not something I would be interested in reading or commenting about so I wouldn't look at it. Same is true for National politics. If you don't like what is being said, don't read it. You see a program on tv or the radio you don't like, you turn it off, what a simple concept. Nat himself said in his original post he wasn't aware of law suits being discussed, so it boils down to as you say a lefty methology, there is no other reasonable explanation. Instead of backing up with facts, your love for Obama, and allowing others to decide whether I am a wack job and laugh at it, or just maybe realize the truth about this man, that is what scares the left. Silence the opposition because they cannot win a debate when it comes to the facts about Obama. How sad is that. So I guess to sum this up, what you are saying is even though this site is Merrimack Forum, the residents have no interest in State and National issues only Merrimack issues.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 pm

My thoughts here

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:36 am

Off site so it won't get lost:

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=46

Summary of my points: Andrew Sylvia is a concern to EVERYONE in this state but needs to be discussed with the voters in his district. CENSORSHIP of political discourse is bad and must be resisted or defeated by any available means. We can't have too many discussion boards. I have mixed feelings on ANONYMITY. Beware the THUGGERY of the 'progressives'.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
User avatar
rowland
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:39 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:Nat, you made the right decision.

I wish there were a way we could have state level topics without all the shenanigans, and i'm sorry if I aggrevated things, I wish I could have made things a bit more civil, but it seems like I failed.


It figures you'd take that position.

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=36

Never mind civil, you aggravated things by being so disingenuous.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
User avatar
rowland
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby andysinnh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 am

TCF wrote:I am well aware of the title Merrimack Online Forum, and I believe that the people of Merrimack are interested in State and National politics also and not just limited to town issues as well as a multitude of other things. The proof is in the pudding. It is the most active category on this site. If someone wants to start a thread on recipes, I am all for it. It is just not something I would be interested in reading or commenting about so I wouldn't look at it. Same is true for National politics. If you don't like what is being said, don't read it. You see a program on tv or the radio you don't like, you turn it off, what a simple concept. Nat himself said in his original post he wasn't aware of law suits being discussed, so it boils down to as you say a lefty methology, there is no other reasonable explanation. Instead of backing up with facts, your love for Obama, and allowing others to decide whether I am a wack job and laugh at it, or just maybe realize the truth about this man, that is what scares the left. Silence the opposition because they cannot win a debate when it comes to the facts about Obama. How sad is that. So I guess to sum this up, what you are saying is even though this site is Merrimack Forum, the residents have no interest in State and National issues only Merrimack issues.

Everybody has a view on politics - if you had a booth at the 4th of july celebration to talk about politics, you'd have people there debating their points till the cows come home. But is it necessary to have that alongside the other discussions, either at the 4th of July or here? Not really. Yes, those were the two most active recently - but things were getting pretty heated. Should heated discussions occur? Sure - those who want to discuss can/will, those that don't can turn the other cheek. But the bottom line here is that now, as was true even in the past, the "fervor" in the political discussions (a) bled into the other topics, and (b) created an overall environment where others who may have wanted to participate in town discussions were reluctant to do so because of the general theme of the discussions.

My view? Have someone create and moderate and own a parallel forum on political discussions for Merrimack residents, and have at it. But keeping this one focused on Merrimack topics throughout is also needed, and hopefully this sort of split will get more of the residents to want to participate (be they anons or known entities) to really discuss some of the town topics.

So, frankly - Nat has had the final word. If you and others want a political-based forum, then create one. Godaddy.com gives web names cheap, and anyone with a decent server can set something up. I may participate, and I may not. But I respect your right to create whatever you like. This forum is not a town-sponsored forum (not like the original one)....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:15 am

I can certainly appreciate the rights and responsibilities of those who own and manage the forum. Even shutting down the National and State sections demonstrated our right as Americans to speak and act freely.

However, there were many on the forum who objected to serious and pointed debate which I believe lead to the downfall or the National and State sections. I dare say in most cases, this attitude came from the left as they could not make cogent cases for their positions. There was one instance of a candidate who refused to stake a definitive position on taxes and instead attempted to portray himself as being persecuted by unknown forces from out of town.

One other debate comes to my mind; those who supported Obama never seemed to move beyond name calling or moniker bashing when pressed with facts as to their champion’s weakness as a candidate. In the end, they lost perspective and resorted to ad hominem attacks on anti-Obama posters including questioning their identities instead of offering data to support Obama.

Anyway, posting and being involved in some debates where facts held sway over leftist hyperbole was fun and I thank the forum hosts for their indulgence.
User avatar
platypusman
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Linda Nickerson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 am

Nat, you made the right call......even though I no longer live in Merrimack, I enjoy reading about my former town and neighbors.

I think those posters considered by some on the "left" were, much like me, frustrated by the deluge of negative posts against any person/place/thing we (the aforementioend "lefties") expressed interest and/or support for. Even when posts were made to rebut the allegations, those were ignored and we were told that we couldn't prove anything (of course their posts were ALWAYS accurate :shock: :? ).

I chose to ignore those posters after feeling that I was beating my head against a wall. Others chose to attempt to "keep up the good fight". But, the innuendo, sarcasm, downright rudenesss from those posters considered on the "right" finally got to even some of them.

There are many "Wild West" sites out on the internet. There is no reason to continue that type of "discussion" here on a town forum. Those topics were drawing in anons who probably don't even know where New Hampshire is, let alone Merrimack.

You should probably consider locking this topic before too long. You do a wonderful (and often thankless) job running this forum. You are to be commended.
Linda Nickerson
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:29 am

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:55 am

Ultimately it comes down to a few angry liberals exchanging jabs with conservative anons who happen to scratch deep enough to draw blood.

I'm "conservative," but I'm not an anon. But as the Platypus (Perry? Is that you?) notes above, angry liberals tend to be rather thin-skinned, so scratching deep enough to draw blood doesn't usually take much - asking specific questions and demanding direct answers was apparently enough.
User avatar
Michael Pelletier
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: 3 Woodbine Lane

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:51 am

rowland wrote:
Andy Sylvia wrote:Nat, you made the right decision.

I wish there were a way we could have state level topics without all the shenanigans, and i'm sorry if I aggrevated things, I wish I could have made things a bit more civil, but it seems like I failed.


It figures you'd take that position.

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=36

Never mind civil, you aggravated things by being so disingenuous.


I aggrevated things? You've got alot of nerve after you single handedly destroyed the National section, out of towner.
Andy Sylvia
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:34 pm

Re: My thoughts here

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:05 am

rowland wrote:Off site so it won't get lost:

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=46

Summary of my points: Andrew Sylvia is a concern to EVERYONE in this state but needs to be discussed with the voters in his district. CENSORSHIP of political discourse is bad and must be resisted or defeated by any available means. We can't have too many discussion boards. I have mixed feelings on ANONYMITY. Beware the THUGGERY of the 'progressives'.


I have no idea what you're talking about, Rowland. If there's a software issue with another one of the blogs, you should take that up with their owners before spreading your wild accusations per usual.

While it's unfortunate that we're losing the state and national section, not seeing you here anymore is definitely a positive.
Andy Sylvia
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:34 pm

Re: My thoughts here

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:
rowland wrote:Off site so it won't get lost:

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=46

Summary of my points: Andrew Sylvia is a concern to EVERYONE in this state but needs to be discussed with the voters in his district. CENSORSHIP of political discourse is bad and must be resisted or defeated by any available means. We can't have too many discussion boards. I have mixed feelings on ANONYMITY. Beware the THUGGERY of the 'progressives'.


I have no idea what you're talking about, Rowland. If there's a software issue with another one of the blogs, you should take that up with their owners before spreading your wild accusations per usual.

While it's unfortunate that we're losing the state and national section, not seeing you here anymore is definitely a positive.


Nat, maybe you should lock out the Forum Software Information! :shock:
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 pm

I respect Nat's decision because it was his and his alone to make.

I would only occasionally read the removed topics, and usually only if there wasn't an anon associated with the subject. I don't do trolls, and whether or not they realize it. their negativity makes others convert to the opposite of what is attacked.

Maybe there could be a new topic added in place of the two old titled something along the line of "interesting tidbits" or "did you see this?", which could include subjects like the "real monster" discussion recently. A lot happens outside Merrimack (really! :lol: ) that is not political and would be fun to talk about. But again, that is for Nat to decide,

Thank you, Nat, for keeping this forum going for so long.
Kathy
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:45 pm

Re: My thoughts here

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Michael Thompson wrote:
Andy Sylvia wrote:
rowland wrote:Off site so it won't get lost:

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/conten ... .php?id=46

Summary of my points: Andrew Sylvia is a concern to EVERYONE in this state but needs to be discussed with the voters in his district. CENSORSHIP of political discourse is bad and must be resisted or defeated by any available means. We can't have too many discussion boards. I have mixed feelings on ANONYMITY. Beware the THUGGERY of the 'progressives'.


I have no idea what you're talking about, Rowland. If there's a software issue with another one of the blogs, you should take that up with their owners before spreading your wild accusations per usual.

While it's unfortunate that we're losing the state and national section, not seeing you here anymore is definitely a positive.


Nat, maybe you should lock out the Forum Software Information! :shock:


lol, if he could lock out my temper towards bullies, that would be more helpful.

Once again, I apologize for exasperating the situation with them. Now that the state section is gone, i'll see you all after the election!
Andy Sylvia
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:34 pm

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Andy you became a lightning rod on this forum because you are running for public office and are refusing to declare a position on a major issue. If you don’t see how that can bring out frustration then perhaps you should talk to those who are in the other party. Personally, I am still upset that you won’t answer questions directly.
User avatar
platypusman
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Wayne » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Kathy wrote:Thank you, Nat, for keeping this forum going for so long.

Amen!
Wayne
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 am
Location: Merrimack

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby RBarnes » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 am

Kathy wrote:Maybe there could be a new topic added in place of the two old titled something along the line of "interesting tidbits" or "did you see this?", which could include subjects like the "real monster" discussion recently. A lot happens outside Merrimack (really! :lol: ) that is not political and would be fun to talk about. But again, that is for Nat to decide,


There's the "Other Topics" thread for "food, sports and other". No reason fun, non political discussions cannot take place there.

Speaking of monster threads, don't know if you heard about the guys who claimed to have a dead big foot. Found out last night it was nothing more then a rubber suit.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Software Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron