Discussion of state and national removal

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Discussion of state and national removal

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:28 pm

In order to keep the announcement global I have put the discussion topic here.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Re: Discussion of state and national removal

Postby andysinnh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:22 pm

So I'm assuming the shutdown was due to some of the recent banter about contact names and potential lawsuits?

Just curious....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Confucius » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Good call.
My font > yours.
Confucius

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm

andysinnh wrote:So I'm assuming the shutdown was due to some of the recent banter about contact names and potential lawsuits?

Just curious....

I never even noticed the lawsuit talk, but yes the recent spat was the last straw. I was away on vacation last week and one of the things I thought about while I was relaxing on the beach (I didn't think that much about it though, mostly enjoyed the beach) was how to improve participation in the town forum. The national (and now state) politics area is a two faced monster. It's a area with a ton of posts, so it drives daily visitors to the site. However it's also full of vitriol and has been repeatedly cited as the reason this forum has seen so few residents participate.

I'm worried that removing the state and national areas might cause this forum to go the way of the Hollis forum (dead) but it's a risk I'm ready to take.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby RBarnes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm

While I enjoy reading the state and national (and occasionally posting there too) I can see the reasoning for turning them off. This is a Merrimack forum after all so why not focus on Merrimack specific issues.

If people want to discuss state issues there are already dozens of good forums with lots of activity on which to discuss them.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/nhinsider

There's a perfect example of one.

The telegraph's website has another. The free staters have put up a couple different ones as have the state democrats although the democrats do censor if you disagree with them as I have found out first hand.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks Nat.

I was going to start looking for a plug-in for the forum that would allow me to ignore state/national postings - this is better :-)

As for creating another board, I would suggest, as Rick said, let them find another forum, there are plenty and you've got, I'm sure, more important things to deal with.

State/National issues DO effect Merrimack residents and there may be some issues brought up because of that - but no where near as bad as it has gotten.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby andysinnh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm

I think it brings the forum back to what it was intended to do - talk about local issues. And while I spent more than my fair share of time in the state and national sections lately, I was getting much more involved than I wanted to be. I'm sure my sanity will be better - thanks, Nat!!!

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby JBass » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Nat,

The recent "State & National" threads remind me of the rough and tumble days from a few years ago. Ultimately it comes down to a few angry liberals exchanging jabs with conservative anons who happen to scratch deep enough to draw blood. Often of late these participants are not Merrimack residents. If there were some way to restrict the forum members to just "townies" I would support it.

Lastly, as a conservative democrat I totally support the anons who choose to use a nom de plume. Myself and others have had veiled threats, windows shot out and, in one instance, a vehicle was keyed after a BOS meeting. The police seemed to have agreed that all was the hand of an ex-Merrimack gun toting liberal.

Just my two "sense".

Jim
JBass

Postby TCF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:47 pm

I would support banning the angry liberal as you put it Jim. And we all know who that is. Unfortunatly I think this forum will die without those two categories. Frankly I don't see what the big deal is. If 2 people on here want to sue each other have at it for all I care. Completely nuts as far as I am concerned where people take the time to look up IP addresses, threaten each other all for what, National and State politics on an internet blog. I think everyone should be anon and let them have at it. As far as you Nat locking these threads, I don't understand that at all. Yes you are the boss as far as this site is concerned, and as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong but you personally cannot be held liable for anything posted on here. I say you should seriously think of passing the control of this site over to someone else if you no longer want to let people say what is on their minds. This site has has thousands upon thousands of posts, to kill this site because either you don't like the politics involved, or are afraid of being sued yourself is just not right. It is obvious that many people come here and post, and to limit that is a shame. Time to step down Nat and let this forum continue the way it is in my humble opinion.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Some people just don't know when to stop, do they?

Nat, I think you've probably made the right call. While interesting points of view occasionally surfaced, most of the banter went nowhere (except perhaps in circles). I suspect there were many readers that were just too intimidated to post, knowing that they would likely get pounced on. And I certainly won't miss the post-after-post trashing of Obama - there's good in everybody, and some people just refused to admit that. I do think I'll enjoy the new-found free time...
Wayne

Postby Michael Thompson » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 pm

TCF wrote:I would support banning the angry liberal as you put it Jim. And we all know who that is. Unfortunatly I think this forum will die without those two categories. Frankly I don't see what the big deal is. If 2 people on here want to sue each other have at it for all I care. Completely nuts as far as I am concerned where people take the time to look up IP addresses, threaten each other all for what, National and State politics on an internet blog. I think everyone should be anon and let them have at it. As far as you Nat locking these threads, I don't understand that at all. Yes you are the boss as far as this site is concerned, and as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong but you personally cannot be held liable for anything posted on here. I say you should seriously think of passing the control of this site over to someone else if you no longer want to let people say what is on their minds. This site has has thousands upon thousands of posts, to kill this site because either you don't like the politics involved, or are afraid of being sued yourself is just not right. It is obvious that many people come here and post, and to limit that is a shame. Time to step down Nat and let this forum continue the way it is in my humble opinion.

TCF there are a lot of sites and software out there that would allow you to set up a site moderated and maintained by you. You could post a link here on this thread regarding the forum. I'm sure Nat would be open to it, seeing that he already commented on the ones from Rick.

As for Nat stepping down, no need. He maintains the site on top of moderating it. It's he decision and site and he can decide what's the role of the site.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby andysinnh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 pm

I agree with those who think the forum will remain viable - frankly, the state and nat'l sections were more of a "free for all" part of this forum - and there's certainly a lot of more important and pertinent discussions about Merrimack that happen here, especially around election time. I, for one, think that we may pick up more townsfolk into the forum if the discussion really focuses on town/local issues - and that's what I've always wanted to have - so we can continue discussions on things we don't agree on - like the library, the outlet mall, wasserman park signs, etc, etc. If we're gonna debate, let's do it with local issues - at least you'll know if someone is local or not bye their knowledge of the issues - even if they're an anon.

Nat - you did right and i think this forum will be just fine moving forward.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Andy Sylvia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Nat, you made the right decision.

I wish there were a way we could have state level topics without all the shenanigans, and i'm sorry if I aggrevated things, I wish I could have made things a bit more civil, but it seems like I failed.
Andy Sylvia

Postby TCF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 pm

andysinnh wrote:I agree with those who think the forum will remain viable - frankly, the state and nat'l sections were more of a "free for all" part of this forum - and there's certainly a lot of more important and pertinent discussions about Merrimack that happen here, especially around election time. I, for one, think that we may pick up more townsfolk into the forum if the discussion really focuses on town/local issues - and that's what I've always wanted to have - so we can continue discussions on things we don't agree on - like the library, the outlet mall, wasserman park signs, etc, etc. If we're gonna debate, let's do it with local issues - at least you'll know if someone is local or not bye their knowledge of the issues - even if they're an anon.

Nat - you did right and i think this forum will be just fine moving forward.

andy

I disagree, all of 3 posts on the town forum today, zzzzzzzzzzzzz, This will die as Nat put it the way of Hollis. It amazes me that the left would rather ban opinions and silence whoever disagrees with them. It tells me one thing, the left is afraid that they can't compete with facts and truths when it comes to the national forum so the next best thing is to take your bat and ball and go home. How sad.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby andysinnh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:04 pm

You're now saying that Nat's decision, as owner and moderator of the forum, to remove the national and state sections from the forum - is a "lefty" methodology to stop the type of discussion you'd like to have? Geesh - you certainly think more of yourself than you should. Look at the forum title - "Merrimack NH Online Forum" - a forum for discussing issues in and around Merrimack NH. Around here - left and right - conservative and liberal - man or woman - we all get together to talk about things in town. We don't agree all the time - but we have a place to discuss topics here. Summer is typically a dead time for some of the more active discussions - but it runs in waves. If you're saying that having political discussions like before is what keeps the forum alive and interesting - then maybe you should look elsewhere.

I joined this forum over 2 years ago to get into serious discussions about the way this TOWN was heading - and most others on this forum believe in the same thing - and frankly, if removing the state and national sections of the forum pares down the membership to focus on the core topics - then I'm all for it.
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Next

Return to Forum Software Information