Unwanted mail for Adelphia

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Unwanted mail for Adelphia

Postby Norman Phillips » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi! Every day ( for about 3 months ) I receive about 6 emails addressed to my old Adelphia address, emails that are really spam. I never get one addressed to my new comcast address. This suggests to my untutored mind that someone stole and then sold Adelphia customer lists.
I always invoke the "Block the sender" option and delete the unwanted email.

But if my surmise is correct, other readers must be experiencing the same events.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Re: Unwanted mail for Adelphia

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Yes Norm I noticed a huge number of SPAM (but unflagged) messages from my old adelphia account - of course there was only one place that I ever used that account - and the same is true for my Comcast account - so, either Adelphia sold out or classmates.com did ;-)

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby James Austin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:23 am

If I recall correctly, Comcast is going to shutdown the adelphia.net email addresses this month. That will take case of the problem.
Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
James Austin

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:42 am

I don't think Comcast took control of the adelphia.net address. I think Adelphia allowed forwarding (for a length of time) of 'their email addresses' to their Comcast counterparts. This was done for Adelphia HSI customers when Comcast came in. As I recall, each customer could have allowed or dis-allowed the forwarding when they made the switch.

In any case, either some corp-level filter has been put in place, or taken off, or Adelphia sold their addresses (and has not removed the forwarding). Comcast could put a filter in disallowing forwarding of any adelphia.net to comcast.net - however, I'm pretty sure Adelphia did not go 100% belly up and if not, there are valid adelphia.net customers out there.

Brian

James Austin wrote:If I recall correctly, Comcast is going to shutdown the adelphia.net email addresses this month. That will take case of the problem.
Brian McCarthy

Return to Forum Software Information