IP Address visibility

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

IP Address visibility

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm

For awhile now I've been trying to figure out how to best restore the visible IP address functionality that I had coded for the prior version of this board. I've figured out one way to do this, but I'm not sure I like how it works. It exposes portions of the moderator control panel to all registered users. The good news is this increases the visibility of moderator actions. The bad news is it might make too much visible. I don't think it does, but please leave feedback here.

To see the IP address click on the question mark in the triangle in the upper right corner of each post.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Re: IP Address visibility

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Nat,

Although I'm all for openness, this also exposes the 'moderator log' entries.

If I get some cycles I'll look into a MOD that does this without going the same route you did.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Yeah, the visibility of the moderator log is not what I expected, let me know what you find as alternatives.

Other opinions?

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Norman Phillips » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Nat--(This is probably another subject) I no longer get notices of pms or of replies to threads on which I have posted. (I am checked off as to receiving the latter notices.)
Thank you

Norm Phillips
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Norm,

This may be more of an issue with where the emails are coming from. The system that merrimackforum.org lives on had had some issues with getting on SPAM lists - which causes email coming from the system to be rejected.

Since the email is generated by the forum, when it bounces, I'm not sure where it ends up.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Return to Forum Software Information