Forum downtime this weekend

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Forum downtime this weekend

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 pm

I'll be taking the forum down for some changes this Friday (June 22, 2007). By Sunday everything should be back up and working.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Re: Forum downtime this weekend

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 am

Looks like everything is propagated and ready to go.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:17 am

just checking non-admin postings :-)

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby lynn » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:39 am

ok, this is going to take some getting accustomed to

what's different other than the appearance Nat?
lynn

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:23 pm

lynn wrote:what's different other than the appearance Nat?

Well, I've moved the forum from version 2 of a software package called phpBB to version 3. Version 3 is basically a complete rewrite of the software to bring it up to date with other forum software. You can use it just about like before, but there are significant improvements under the hood including automatic caching of common database queries and some pages that would otherwise be dynamically generated.

A more recognizable improvement will be better tracking of unread messages. Instead of just keeping track of posts that are new since you last visited the software actually tracks which posts you have read so you don't have to worry about keeping up to date on all threads even if you just check in briefly. You can also "Save" drafts of posts and private messages along with the standard "Preview" and "Submit" options. This allows you to write your reply and save it to finish later or review after you've cooled off a little bit. Other improvements coming will be the possibility of having the forum IM you rather than email you for certain notifications and more.

This software version also has significantly better moderation, editing and warning functionality, along with better anti spam protection. But that's really not visible to the general user.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Michael Thompson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:41 pm

I see that you can now choose if you want oldest to newest or newest to oldest on the post. Also find the friends and foes interesting.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 am

Michael Thompson wrote:Also find the friends and foes interesting.

What does that function do?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RD » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:41 am

RBarnes wrote:
Michael Thompson wrote:Also find the friends and foes interesting.

What does that function do?

I believe defining foes is essentially an "ignore" function. From the user control panel:

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Tom Williams » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 pm

In the old version, clicking on a link imbedded in apost would open a new browser window. In this new forum software, clicking a link replaces the forum page with the link page.

I like the old way better. Any way to change a setting so that links launch a new browser window?

Otherwise, I like this new forum software much better.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby RD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:50 am

Tom Williams wrote:In the old version, clicking on a link imbedded in apost would open a new browser window. In this new forum software, clicking a link replaces the forum page with the link page.

I like the old way better. Any way to change a setting so that links launch a new browser window?

I have been getting around that by right-clicking the links and choosing 'open in new window/tab.' But I agree, it would be great if we could restore that.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:41 am

RD wrote:
Tom Williams wrote:In the old version, clicking on a link imbedded in apost would open a new browser window. In this new forum software, clicking a link replaces the forum page with the link page.

I have been getting around that by right-clicking the links and choosing 'open in new window/tab.' But I agree, it would be great if we could restore that.

I'll look into it. I never noticed a difference since I use Firefox and have it set up to open offsite links in new tabs.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Concerned » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:25 am

The "right click / open in new tab" is easy to use. You can also press "Ctrl" + click the link once and it will open in a new tab.
Concerned

no more popups...

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:29 pm

Since I've got my own forum to deal with now I did some checking on this:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=544131

Explains why (its not xhtml compliant) and gives a work around (modify the template).

More detail in:

http://www.easytutorials.org/phpbb3_pro ... indow.html

If you allow multiple styles, the changes would need to be made in each one.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:54 pm

Nat Fairbanks

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Didn't work. Will investigate later.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Next

Return to Forum Software Information