Stupid Idea M@
50%
Brilliant!
50%

Total votes : 4

Rating Possibility

Postby M@ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Hey Nat:

Any chance there's a "rating" system with this forum software? Something where you can rate people's posts. It might enable us to level the playing field a bit and encourage others to post more. Typically an aggregate of these ratings is displayed beside a person's handle on each post.

I was also thinking about a "invite only" forum where you have to possibly prove yourself worthy of entrance. Nothing terribly strict, possibly invite only to post in a specific forum, allowing all to read.

These are some of the techniques other forums I'm involved with apply to prevent some of the problems this free form environment encourage.

M@
M@

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm fairly sure there is an "aftermarket" add on for phpBB that does user ratings, but using it introduces complications - namely having to hand patch updated files when a new security release is made of the forum software.

phpBB3 (we are using 2) is soon to be released, I'm hoping that has better self moderation of users, if not I might migrate to another forum software package, but I haven't investigated others enough yet.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Return to Forum Software Information