Cable show reading forum posts

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Cable show reading forum posts

Postby M@ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:28 pm

I was wondering what people though about a show on the local access channels where someone went over and commented on some of the posts on this forum.

I have no idea what the format would be - but I believe part of it would be putting the posts up on the screen and talking about them.... maybe once in a while have someone voice the different people making comments. I believe it would be necessary for someone to do multiple voices becuase most interesting threads involve 4-5 players and I doubt such a cast could be assembled on a regular basis.

Any other thoughts? I was thinking the name of the show could be "Lurkers" or possibly "Trolls."

M@
M@

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:30 pm

M@

THat is quite funny. I had thought of a call-in show where you could have someone from a different town dept each week and folks could email questions they might have to the show and have that person answer them. This would serve a good purpose as it would eliminate the rumors that circulate around town and instead you'd hear it from the horse's mouth (so to speak) :wink:

I'd call it Merrimack is Talking
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:21 am

Two really interesting ideas!

Jeannine's idea is definitely a good one. I know Nick (Media Services guy at Town Hall) has thought of doing something similar, but it's hard for staff to start something like that. It would be easier of it came from the public. I know he'd be supportive and help with logistics.

M@'s idea is something I've never thought of and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it's worth giving some thought to it. This forum is a fluid thing, a conversation really. Sometimes we post a thought, then we get a few responses, then we modify our original thought (for me, that means I posted when ticked off about something and after I calm down I back off). How would the host handle that? Would s/he faithfully show the dynamic quality of the exchange, or would s/he try to hang us by focusing only on the original post? Would we post less often, only after weighing our words more heavily?

For example, when Whitlock took my forum words and printed them in a letter to the editor, without the context of forum conversation (forum readers knew that I was a strong McCray supporter but also a strong Tieperman supporter, so they understood my post as me taking sides on one specific issue, not as a general condemnation of McCray), it made me much more cautious about my posts. (For a while, anyway. :lol: ) My guess is that is what will happen if we know our words can be broadcast on cable without context.

Seems like the success of the show would depend on the integrity of the host. If the host uses the forum posts as a jumping-off point to discuss an issue, that could be interesting and useful.

My guess is that you'd have no problem getting people to voice the posters. Many of us are closet hams. I know I'd sign up!
Debra Huffman

Return to Forum Software Information