We don't need a new admin because I'm not moving

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

We don't need a new admin because I'm not moving

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:06 pm

I've got a new job I'm really excited about, but with it comes a 120 mile round trip daily commute. Combine that with the economic penalty for working in MA and living in NH and I find that I have to move. At one point it was possible to justify working in MA and living in NH even though you had to pay MA income tax and NH property tax. But now that home values have increased in Merrimack to almost par with houses in nearby MA, and NH property taxes have increased even more, it's no longer financially justifiable to live in NH and work in MA. The money I'm spending on commuting and taxes (income and property) will be much better saved than spent. I believe NH (and Merrimack) is a much better place to live than most of MA, but until it's possible for me to live and work in NH I can't justify it.

I would not say I'm being forced out by taxes, but taxes in Merrimack have certainly made the decision to leave easier. My wife and I have begun to plant roots in town, and our children have made many friends so the decision was not made lightly either. I haven't put our house on the market yet, but I plan to soon. Given the way the current real estate market looks we'll be in town for another four months or so and I'd like to use that time to look for and train a replacement admin.

A month ago I hinted at the possible changes, but it was too soon after I started the new job to put plans in motion.
Nat Fairbanks wrote:Right now I plan on having this forum stay around for a long long long time, but there might be some changes coming up this year.

Now it's time. The forum is at the most active point of it's annual cycle, and even seems to be more active than ever before. This would be the perfect time to get a new administrator on board. Get them up to speed and making the difficult decisions while I'm still around to help out. If no one steps forward I'll make sure the forum continues, but it will likely be under much less active administration/moderation by me.

Anyone interested in serving as a future administrator or moderator for the forum please email me at mailto:fairbanks@alum.wpi.edu.

-Nat
Last edited by Nat Fairbanks on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Taxed Out » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:48 pm

I wish you well, and hope whoever takes over on this forum believes in free speach. Its like TV, if you don't like what is on, turn it off. Let people say anything they like as long is it is not slanderous or illegal.
Taxed Out

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:03 pm

Nat

I understand completely as I did the 120-mile round trip for nearly 15 years. You have been more than fair with me and I appreciate all of the hard work you put into this forum. I will miss you and I do wish you and your family the best in your future endeavors.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Andy Sylvia » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:44 pm

Nat, no matter where you go, you'll be one of us. Thank you for this tool you've given us. It's been flawed at times, but it's definately a useful place to exchange ideas.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:01 pm

Nat,

The last couple of weeks I've been a little preoccupied with the adoption paperwork and a chest cold, but I'll plan to have a look at the post sort order preference pieces later this week.

If you haven't found any other volunteers, I'd consider coming on as a forum admin in your absence - give me a ring sometime, 424-6916, and we can discuss it further.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:49 am

I guess I should officially end the search for a new administrator of this forum. The very soft real estate market has caused my wife and me to reevaluate our decision to move. We have taken our house off the market and are staying in Merrimack for the foreseeable future. There are just too many uncertanties in the housing market right now to put my family through a move into an unfamiliar town so the scale has shifted making the price for staying (a long commute for me, plus double taxation) acceptable given the benefits of living in Merrimack.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby M@ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:41 am

Nat - I could have written the exact same post - our "move" is kinda on hold too. Turns out I'm dealing with the 12min commute pretty well. I've got a consistant time to listen to podCasts now!

M@
M@

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:10 am

M@ wrote:I've got a consistant time to listen to podCasts now!

That's exactly what I've done, although I also bought a commuter car that I squeeze myself into. In addition to the more typical improvement (such as double the MPG and working AC (no more open window road noise) it has an aftermarket stereo with an aux input, so I now have about two hours a day to listen to podcasts.

So far my favorite has been Penn Jillete's on freefm.com, but that only covers 45 minutes each day so I'm looking for more. Any suggestions?

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:46 am

Judging by your FreeFM listening, you might like Free Talk Live, and the Laura Ingraham Show.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:03 am

Michael

Judging by your FreeFM listening, you might like Free Talk Live, and the Laura Ingraham Show.

Laura Ingraham - one of my favorites.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:49 am

Nat Fairbanks wrote:Any suggestions?

http://www.podcastawards.com/

Some good choices listed here. And to support what Mike pointed out "Free Talk Live" won as best political show.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby M@ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:47 pm

http://twit.tv

I listen to Twit most every week, and the Security Now podcast has some really good shows - they did a "How the Internet Works" series in the 30-35 show number range where they covered IP and Nat Routers and a bunch of very kewl stuff that I "thought" I understood.

Bascially, the whole Leo Laporte range of stuff is good in my book. His radio show is good too, mostly people calling in saying "I have spyware" but he's really good explaining WHY they have problems and is constantly suggesting stuff I never would have thought of.

M@
M@

Return to Forum Software Information