Non-Anonymous Resident Only forum?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Non-Anonymous Resident Only forum?

Postby M@ » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I was thinking of a "Non-anonymous, Resident ONLY forum" on this board. We seem to have a few non-residents posting anonymously. A lot of it doesn't seem to be doing the flow of conversation much good, in my opinion. It seems to be a collection of "pointing out YOUR problems" as opposed to "finding OUR solutions."

So I'm posting this to see if there are similar or other opinions about this.

I'm not requesting such a sub-forum, as I'm not even sure how it could be done. I wouldn't ban outsiders from the forum completely, but instead creating a sub-forum where they wouldn't be allowed.

M@
M@

Postby Dennis King » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:29 pm

I have consistently requested this. I think the whole forum should be names only and your idea for only town residents can work but sometimes you might find someone from another town with a good idea to help our town.

Mark Fitzgerald for example. As a former resident, he knows the issues and his new town gives him something to compare to us.

I think having your real name to something makes you more responsible in your posting. Nat, this is a good idea be it a sub forum or the current forum.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:44 pm

Dennis King wrote:I think having your real name to something makes you more responsible in your posting. Nat, this is a good idea be it a sub forum or the current forum.

I agree that having your real name attached to post makes you think twice before posting since you can be held responsible for those posts by others who know you. I just have not come up with a good way implement "real name only" accounts. Short of requiring every user to meet me face to face and show ID I have not come up with a workable solution.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:47 pm

Nat

Would mailing a password to the individual at their home help?

No PO Boxes - only physical addresses?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby M@ » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:No PO Boxes - only physical addresses?

That's a pretty good idea - any account where this had been done could have a little icon next to it - indicating a verified resident.

M@
M@

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Nat

Would mailing a password to the individual at their home help?

No PO Boxes - only physical addresses?

And who would pay for the postage?
Brian McCarthy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Brian

Good question. Maybe we write to Nat and apply to join and include a Self addressed stamped envelope? Sounds a bit complicated and work for Nat though.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:55 pm

Back when the Town had a forum, the question of having residents only was brought up - and how to verify who was registering (where they who they said they were). The only thought we had at the time was to have the registration request go to Town Hall and someone there would have to call and confirm verbally with the person.

The issue of using a screen name vs real name also came up. OK, sure you can use a screen name. OK, you want to know who is behind the screen name? File a Right-to-know request with the Town and they would let you know (they had to the forum was part of the Town).

Then of course there were the people who thought that forcing registration and confirmation would cause people not to post. I agreed with that but looked at the forum as an extended Town Meeting where you MUST give your name.

It was a nasty problem.

The forum is better off 'out here' because of RSA-91A (Right to know) the only thing I think was a big loss was having the ability of residents to ask questions about something - and get it answered by Town Hall.

I have lots of 'wish list' items when ever they get to putting a new website up.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Stan Heinrich » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:21 am

In my opinion, a residant only real name forum would be a great idea.
While it will not eliminate all of those nasty postings, it should cut it down a lot.
Good luck.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Dennis King » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:59 am

Stan, you and I are on perfect agreement on this. I do not see why we need annon's anyway. I suspect if they were prohibited, most of the users would jump in and that is not a bad thing.
Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Taxed Out » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 am

Dennis King wrote:Stan, you and I are on perfect agreement on this. I do not see why we need annon's anyway. I suspect if they were prohibited, most of the users would jump in and that is not a bad thing.
Dennis

Dennis, as much as I respect what you do for this town, I disagree with that. These liberals will stop at nothing to advance their agenda. If you recall the old forum, One such lib actually took the time to go to the town hall to find out and look up if a poster was actually a citizen of Merrimack, and you yourself have said someone had taken shots I think at your car in the driveway. Why would anyone put their real identity on here with the possibility of one of these loons to do what I just mentioned or worse. And of course if your a business owner in town, there is always that chance of getting picketed by activist school board members if you disagree with them.
Taxed Out

Postby Dennis King » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:07 pm

Taxed, true you may get your car keyed and hit with a crow bar, your home may get shot at where your children sleep, and your business may suffer.
Free speach is not necessarily free.

The Police put a stop to the shootings and vandalism, I think I get more business from not backing down than for anything I might say.

It is all how you look at it.

This is why I miss the old town meetings. You got to see your neighbors face to face and debate. People are generally more respectful in person or using their names. I have had some exceptions but even these people have come around. They may not love me but it seems they can respect my position and avoid ad hominen attacks. A person's positon is much stronger when he avoids the negative stuff and we then can mutually respect each others opinions even when we disagree.

Taxed, there are a number of anons I respect but they will never get my full faith in them since I will never know who they are.

One thing I find is a number of anons have real names, just like the "truth" who I suspect has a real name here too. The anon is to throw all the negative garbage out that they would not dare do with their real name.

My Dad always told me never to argue with an idiot, after a while people can't tell which one he is.

It is sound advice.

If we have real names, we have a better chance of sorting things out and reputations can be impacted directly to the person involved, not only to the recipriant of a nasty comment from a bomb thrower.

Someone said ignore the troll, I think it is sound advice. ,,,,,
yes, let's all ignore the TROLL.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Honestly I’d like to see a mix… Nat had a test forum I was lucky enough to see which had a break out between the “wild westâ€
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Return to Forum Software Information