New Format

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

New Format

Postby Tom Williams » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Hello! There is a new format for the forum, right?

Is everything still here? Seems like some posts have disappeared lately.

Nat, once again, thanks for all you do. Are you going to continue doing this for a while yet?
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Re: New Format

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Tom Williams wrote:Hello! There is a new format for the forum, right?

Is everything still here? Seems like some posts have disappeared lately.

Nat, once again, thanks for all you do. Are you going to continue doing this for a while yet?

Along with removing the ability of users to edit their own posts I trimmed the number of subjects, condensing posts in any removed area to new areas. For example the Marketplace with For Sale / Trade has been condensed with Local Business info into "For Sale or Trade / Wanted / Local Business info" and the seperate Cable, Library, Water and Toll topics have been condensed into one area. I did this so I didn't have to scroll down to track new users, users online and access the administration information.

Right now I plan on having this forum stay around for a long long long time, but there might be some changes coming up this year.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby M@ » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks Nat - I think the new format reflects some good thought - and I like it.

Now if we can just get the post listing order reversed...

Echo the "Thanks for the forum" thoughts.

M@
M@

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:21 pm

I got used to editing to fix typos, I guess I'll have to preview more carefully now.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Mark Cloutier » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 pm

Nat,

Thanks for all you work, but I really don't like the oldest message first format.

Everytime you visit the forum you are presented with the same messages and it takes a lot more configuring to check out all the latest posts in all the categories.

Thanks,
Mark Cloutier

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Mark Cloutier wrote:Everytime you visit the forum you are presented with the same messages and it takes a lot more configuring to check out all the latest posts in all the categories.

There's an icon you can click that takes you to the newest post in each topic. Brian McCarthy posted a great image to show people which icon it is. That makes reading the forum much easier. It only works for logged in users however, and it keeps track of what's new since the last time you visited the site. This is Brian's post.
http://www.merrimackforum.org/phpBB2/vi ... 2350#52350

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Wayne » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:33 pm

Nat,

As other people have said, I too have noticed that little icon on the left doesn't always work. Sometimes it keeps taking me to the same place earlier in the thread, as if it is never updating after I read the unread messages. Happens both in FireFox and IE. This seems unique to certain threads and I haven't been able to discern any uniqueness to those threads. (The icon over on the right always takes me to the last message, so that's a convenient alternative.) No matter, put me down for preferring your new message order.
Wayne

Postby Tom Williams » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:16 pm

I've noticed this too. It seems that if new messages are posted while you are logged in, the icon reappears but still takes you to the point which was "new" when you logged in. Loggin out and then back in resets it.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Wayne » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Tom Williams wrote:Logging out and then back in resets it.

That does indeed work. Thanks, Tom. :lol:
Wayne

Return to Forum Software Information