Locking of topics and a request for 'Moderator Action' topic

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Locking of topics and a request for 'Moderator Action' topic

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:08 am

When I've moderated forums through the years there have been times when things were done and discussed through email and action was then taken.

I had a separate topic set aside for 'Moderator Action' which I would then post the reason for a visible change by readers of the forums.

I would like it if that was setup here.

It appears that only moderators have the ability to write-lock topics and a resent topic has been write-locked.

I was wondering what the reason for this was.

Thanks,

Brian McCarthy
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 am

Posts were made overnight in the locked topic that I felt went too far over the line to personal attacks, particularly now that the person has stepped down from a public position. I locked the topic and moved the posts to an area visible only to moderators.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

There are several locked topics.

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:37 pm

I took a quick look and noticed several locked topics. May I assume this is the reason for the majority of those?

Only the people who posted to those topics, or those who happen to have seen their posts prior to them being moved would know the reason.

Thanks for explaining.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:26 pm

Yes, but in many cases I simply locked topics that I felt were getting too acrimonious without removing any posts, as I felt no further useful discussion was going to happen, and only offensive remarks were likely to be posted.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Return to Forum Software Information