IP addresses

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

IP addresses

Postby M@ » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:45 pm

Is it possible to include a display to show the IP address that a post was made from? Might make it more difficult for people to pretend to be two different people. This is a standard feature in some other forum software.

M@
M@

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:49 pm

M@

How do we know you aren't two different people?

If you are implying that me and DA are the same person - you're wrong. Just because two people have the same beliefs does not mean they are the same person.

I happen to know who DA is - and DA is not me.

And besides, what difference would it make in your life? If someone is using their real name and also using an anon - does it matter?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Awww Matt, nothing better to do with your days. You are like an old lady hen.
Devils Advocate

Postby M@ » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:55 pm

I never said I wasn't two different people.

And I never implied that Jeannine and DA were the same person. That's an interesting theory though.

And I'm not a hen! Hen's can't fly.

M@
M@

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:09 pm

It wouldn't be hard to modify the sottware to display the IP address publicly, the information is logged for each post and available to anyone with moderator status. I don't see much value in displaying the IP for everyone though, since it's trivial to spoof through proxy servers and other methods.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby M@ » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:26 pm

Nat Fairbanks wrote: I don't see much value in displaying the IP for everyone though, since it's trivial to spoof through proxy servers and other methods.

I wouldn't say "trivial," but I agree it is possible. It's also pretty easy to just post from a different computer. However: I don't think the majority would go to the effort. Currently all you have to do is log out and log back in as your alter-ego.

Like I said: This feature exists on other systems I post to, and it is valuable. More than once I've discovered the same person posting under two accounts.

The feature is implmented as a small icon in each post that has the IP address encoded in the "alt text" so when you hover over it you see the IP, and if you suspect someone posting from two accounts you just hover over it and can tell. It does NOT prevent someone from using alternate proxies, renewing their IP between different log-ins or using a different computer for each alias. However - it makes it a bit more work.

M@
M@

Postby RBarnes » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:32 pm

M@, interesting request but I’m not sure what it would accomplish. Saying for instance that I wanted to play the ID game (I don’t for the record), I could very easily post under one ID while at work and another ID at home. Or flipping that around you would see some IDs showing up under the same IP address who aren’t necessarily the same person. My wife and I both post here using the same computer. The same IP wouldn’t prove we are one in the same.

The other “problemâ€
RBarnes

Paranoia all over the place..

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:02 pm

IMHO:

Without a doubt it would cut down on anons posting.

Is it worth it? If you take this forum 'For Entertainment Use Only' then it will cut down on that.

Will it give hackers targets? Yup, but they go through random ips already so if you're out there with a static IP without a firewall, this won't matter, they will find you.

Will the paranoid people stop posting? Yup....however, as Nat posted, the IP is out there for moderators to view anyway. It was on the old forum also (actually, I'm not sure if it was displayed or not)... The 'old-old' (Frontpage based) forum (as I recall) also had it.

It won't solve the real problem that is posed here and that is people having multiple ids.

Since this is 'just for fun', I'd vote to leave things the way they are.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Re: Paranoia all over the place..

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:34 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:It was on the old forum also (actually, I'm not sure if it was displayed or not)... The 'old-old' (Frontpage based) forum (as I recall) also had it.

Amusing side note - The old town run forum logged the IP address, but did not publicly display it, much like this forum. When the town archived the old forum they gave the public access to all the data, including IP addresses. You can figure out a number of the original anons from reviewing the old town forum data.

Also - this forum has a lot less active duplicate accounts than some think. The vast majority (all that I've seen) of active posters (those with ~50 or more posts) post solely under one ID. (At least as far as a review of the IP logs can tell) A significant amount of posters also use AOL, which leads to many many accounts posting from their handful of proxy servers.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:49 pm

I had forgotten what mode I left the forum on when I set it up.

With the prior Town-run forum, the problem I had with making ANY change is I felt I had to go to the BOS to get it blessed. And trying to talk them through the issues/concerns was a waste.

Just like the current BOS, that BOS did not want to put any trust in people who know more than they do about specific areas. They hire people trained in specific areas then tell them how to do their jobs...things they don't understand get pushed to the side.

Keep up the good work Nat.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Tom Williams » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:07 pm

I too am irritated by the behavior of anonymous posters, because they say things to other people that I am sure they would never dream of saying if their identity were know. This type of behavior is fine for "recreational purposes only" chat rooms, like Brian says. But I wish, perhaps naively, that this forum can serve some more serious purpose to Merrimack residents. We already have several elected officials from the Budget Committee, BOS and School Board who post regularly. I am sure that more would participate if the discourse was less like an elementary school playground argument. To be sure, not all of the insulting and derogatory posts come from anons, but I think most do.

That said, I think that any effort to block anonymous posters would likely cause others to leave, because it feels a bit heavy handed, "big brother-ish". As a compromise, I have adopted a personal policy of not responding to any post from an anon. I recommend that other users who dislike the contributions from anons simply treat them the same way you treat unwelcomed spam in your inbox - skip their posts.

But let them stay if they like.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

an fyi on IP addresses

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:34 pm

If you follow any kind of news these days you heard about the issue with the baby being taken from its mother...

The baby was tracked down via an IP address.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Dennis King » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:42 pm

Thanks Brian.

That story is one that is so horrible, it could easily pass for an urban legend. I understand she also used the internet to learn buchering.

I am not a vengeful man but I do think this woman deserves the death penalty, just like Scott Peterson did. My heart goes out to the families of these victims of unspeakable voilence.

I fear our society has made life irrelevant thus permitting these horrors.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:42 am

Tom Williams wrote:That said, I think that any effort to block anonymous posters would likely cause others to leave, because it feels a bit heavy handed, "big brother-ish". As a compromise, I have adopted a personal policy of not responding to any post from an anon. I recommend that other users who dislike the contributions from anons simply treat them the same way you treat unwelcomed spam in your inbox - skip their posts.

But let them stay if they like.

See it is for this reason why I personally would like an ignore option. Although few there are those anon posters who I personally feel add ZERO to this forum. I’ve yet to see any constructive comments posted by them and I see no need to read over what they post. I would love to just hit an ignore button which would hide their posts much like Yahoo has on their message boards.

And speaking of Yahoo message boards, they have another feature I would love to see… a recommend button. When you read a post that makes a really good point you can hit it and people who scan over posts can see those that other people feel make the biggest impact. It saves people who only check in once a week or so from having to read through pages and pages of posts to pick up on what those one or two major points were. Not to mention it also signals out to posters when they are off in left field or when they make a point many others agree with.
RBarnes

Return to Forum Software Information